Now that you have created your Merge account and activated your teacher subscription, it’s time to explore the Teacher Dashboard! Here, you’ll find out how to create classes, manage students, and track your students' progress as they explore various topic cards and complete assignments.
To read more about the basic elements of the Merge EDU Platform, see the Dashboard Overview.
In this article, we’ll introduce you to the main functions of the Teacher Dashboard:
- Managing Classes - organize your students, and get them added to your subscription
- Managing Students - manage your students’ accounts
- Tracking Student Progress - track the progress of your students as they complete science simulations
- Sharing Content - share links to digital teaching aids and science simulations with your class
Sign In to the Merge EDU Dashboard
Students are organized into classes on the Merge EDU Platform. You must create at least one class before your students can gain access using a join code.
To Create a Class:
- In the Merge Dashboard, tap on the “Classes” link below the “Teacher” header in the left-side menu
- Tap the red “Create a Class” button to the top right of that page
- Enter a Class Name - you can optionally indicate the period the class is in and give the class a description
- Tap the “Save” button to create your class - you can create as many classes as you need
- Once the class is created, it will generate a “Class Code” - you will share this with your students so they can easily join your class
Once you have your students linked to your classes with the join code, you will be able to see them on the student roster by tapping on the “Students” page from the left-side menu. From there, you will be able to monitor your students’ logins (indicated by the green dot), and sign out all students by tapping the “Sign Out All” button in the upper right corner.
By tapping on the name of a student, you can also reach their Student Info page. From here you can “Sign Out” individual students, edit their info, or tap “Change Password” to reset their password.
If you would like to see your student rosters sorted by class, simply tap on the “Classes” link on the left-side menu to visit the classes page. Tap on the Class Name to reach the Class Info page. Here you can see the list of students connected to that class.
You can see how many of your students are currently logged in to Merge EDU above the list of students, beside the “Online:” indicator. Some subscriptions limit the number of students who can be logged in at one time. As a teacher, you have the ability to log out any of the students that are a part of one of your classes. There are two ways to do this from the class info page:
- You can sign out all of the students in your class by tapping the checkbox to the left of “Display Name” on this page to Select All. Then, simply tap the “Sign Out” button and tap “Confirm” to sign out all of the students in your class.
- Or, you can tap the checkbox to the left of individual student’s names that are indicated by a green dot, then tap the “Sign Out” button and “Confirm” to log out those individual students.
Tracking Student Progress
Track your students’ progress in Merge Explorer through Quiz Results. The quizzes appear once all science simulations in a topic card have been completed. So, if a student has completed the quiz, they have completed that topic card as well.
To view your students’ quiz results, tap on the “Science Simulations” link on the left-side menu, then tap on the topic card you assigned your students to complete. Once in the topic card details page, tap “Quiz Results”. Use the drop down menu at the top of the window to select the class you wish to view. The quiz results page will show an icon by the name of the students who completed a quiz, and will indicate which grade level quiz they completed.
Sharing App Content
It’s easy to share content using the Merge EDU Platform! There are options for sharing all of our digital teaching aids, science simulations, and globe activities which can help get your class on the same page right away.
To share a digital teaching aid collection, first tap on “Object Viewer” on the left-side navigation menu. Then tap on a collection to open its details page. Tap “Share Options” to display the QR Code, Collection Code and Share Link. Any of these can be used to open this specific collection.
To Share a specific topic card, first tap on “Merge Explorer” on the left-side navigation menu. Then tap on a topic card to open its details page. Tap “Share Options” to display the QR Code and Share Link. Both of these can be used to open this specific topic card.
Now that you’ve learned how to navigate the Teacher Dashboard, you’re ready to engage your students in science and STEM with Merge EDU!