Now that you have familiarized yourself with the Merge EDU Dashboard, it is time to start setting up your class so you and your students can begin utilizing the resources and tools available under your subscription.
This article will go over the four main components you’ll need to know in order to set up your classroom with Merge EDU:
- The Different Types of Merge EDU Accounts
- Activating your Admin & Teacher Accounts
- Creating a Class
- Activating your Student Accounts
The Merge EDU Platform has three different types of accounts that can be created:
- The Administrator Account - there is only one administrator account per subscription, and this account acts as the central hub for the other accounts to link up to.
- Teacher Accounts - one step below the administrator accounts, these accounts are connected to the administrator account. Teacher accounts are in charge of classes, and can monitor the progress of any students joined to their class.
- Student Accounts - these accounts are connected to the classes a teacher creates. Depending on your subscription, there may be a limit to the number of students who can be signed into the Merge EDU Platform at one time.
Check out these help articles to learn more the different dashboard in Merge EDU:
Your subscription’s administrator account can only be activated by Merge. Shortly after purchasing your subscription, you will be contacted by a member of our onboarding team about scheduling a call to walk you through creating your Merge account, and to activate your subscription. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Teacher accounts can only be activated once the Administrator Account is activated. Administrators can find their subscription’s join code by signing into their admin account at https://dashboard.mergeedu.com, and following these steps:
- Tap on the “Teachers” link below the “Administrator” header in the left-side menu
- In the top-right corner of that page, you’ll see the words “Subscription Join Code”
- If no code is visible, tap the button to the right of “Subscription Join Code”, this will cause the “Reset Join” page to pop-up
- Tap the “Confirm” button, followed by the “OK” button, to get the code to generate (this may take a few seconds). Share this subscription join code with your Teachers, so they can easily join your subscription
Teachers can then use that Subscription Join Code to activate their accounts.
Click here to learn more about Activating your Teacher Account
When you are ready to add students to your subscription, you will first need to create a class. To create a class, follow these steps:
- Sign into your administrator or teacher account on the Merge EDU Dashboard
- Tap “Classes” to navigate to the Classes page
- Tap “+Add A Class” to open the create a class window, fill out the Class’ Name and Select a Teacher (if you are using your Teacher Account, you are already selected), then tap “Save”
Once your Class is created, you will see a class join code beside the class name - copy that class join code to give to your students, so they can use it to activate their Merge account
There are two methods of getting your Students connected to the Merge EDU Platform.
- The easiest method is for students to create their own accounts, either with a username/password, or by using a single sign on tool.
- The second method is to manually add student accounts via the dashboard.
- Go to https://dashboard.mergeedu.com and tap “Create Account”
- Fill out the account creation form OR if your school uses a single sign on tool with Microsoft, Google, Classlink, Clever or Apple, scroll down and tap the corresponding icon to sign in using that account
- Once signed in, tap “Join A Class” on the left-side menu
- Enter the Class Join Code your Teacher provided for you, then tap “Join”
Otherwise, follow these instructions to manually add students:
- Go to https://dashboard.mergeedu.com and sign into your admin or teacher account
- Tap on “Classes”, then tap on the name of the class you would like to add students to
- Tap “Add Student”, then tap “Add Manually” to open the add student window
- Enter a Username (must be 6 characters) for the student - email is optional - then tap “Save”
This creates a Student Account that is “Not Activated” - inactive accounts cannot be used until they have been activated with the Class Join Code.
- Go to https://dashboard.mergeedu.com and make sure you are Signed-Out of any Merge EDU account (to sign-out, simply tap your name on the dashboard to get to your profile, then tap “Sign Out”)
- Enter the username or email of the inactive account you are trying to activate (see above for how to create an inactive account), then tap “Sign In” (Note: do NOT try to enter a password at this stage)
- Enter the Class Join Code for the class that student is connected with (students MUST be connected to a class to be activated), then create a Password for the account
- Tap “Activate” to activate the Student Account
Students can follow the steps above to activate their own accounts, if you provide them with the usernames you created for them, or teachers can activate these accounts and provide the students with both their username and password so they can sign In to the apps directly.
Now you have successfully set up your Merge EDU Classroom! From here you can start using Merge EDU with your students. Start off by having your students sign into the Merge EDU apps, then show them how to hold a digital object using the Merge Cube or jump right into our standards-aligned science simulations and activity plans. There’s so much to do with Merge EDU! Be sure to check out some of our other help articles for tips and tricks on how to get started.
Have fun teaching with Merge!