Now that you’ve familiarized yourself with the Merge EDU Dashboard, it is time to set up your classroom so that you and your students can use the resources and tools available under your Merge EDU subscription!
This article will go over the four main components you’ll need to know to set up your classroom with Merge EDU:
- The Different Types of Merge EDU Accounts
- Activating your Admin & Teacher Accounts
- Creating a Class
- Activating your Student Accounts
The Different Types of Merge EDU Accounts
The Merge EDU Platform has three different types of accounts that can be created:
- The Administrator Account - there is only one administrator account per subscription, and this account acts as the central hub for the other accounts to link up to.
- Teacher Accounts - one step below the administrator accounts, these accounts are connected to the administrator account. Teacher accounts are in charge of classes, and can monitor the progress of any students joined to their class.
- Student Accounts - these accounts are connected to the classes a teacher creates. Depending on your subscription, there may be a limit to the number of students who can be signed into the Merge EDU Platform at one time.
Activating your Admin & Teacher Accounts
Your subscription’s administrator account can only be activated by Merge. Shortly after purchasing your subscription, you will be contacted by a member of our onboarding team about scheduling a call to walk you through creating your Merge account, and to activate your subscription. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teacher accounts can only be activated once the Administrator Account is activated. Administrators can find their subscription’s join code by signing into their Admin account at https://dashboard.mergeedu.com. The Teacher Join Code will be located at the top of your Admin Dashboard, under your username.
Teachers can then use that subscription join code to activate their accounts.
Creating a Class
When you are ready to add students to your subscription, you will first need to create a class. To create a class, follow these steps:
- Sign into your administrator or teacher account on the Merge EDU Dashboard
- Tap “Classes” to navigate to the classes page
- Tap “+Add A Class” then fill out the Class’ Name and Select a Teacher (if you are using your Teacher Account, you are already selected), then tap “Save”
- Once your Class is created, you will see a class join code beside the class name - copy that class join code to give to your students, so they can use it to activate their Merge account
Adding Student Accounts
The easiest method is for students to create their own account using the class join code. Teachers can also manually create accounts for their students.
Students should follow these steps to create an account:
- Go to https://dashboard.mergeedu.com and tap “Create Account”
- Enter the class join code provided by your teacher
- Sign in with your single sign on tool, or with a username and password
Note: Teachers can follow the steps above to activate student accounts themselves and then provide the students with both their username and password so they can sign into the apps directly. In order to activate a new account you must first sign out of the current account. To sign-out, simply tap your name on the dashboard to get to your profile, then tap “Sign Out”).
Congratulations - you have successfully set up your Merge EDU Classroom!
Now you can start using Merge EDU with your students. Start off by having your students sign into the Merge EDU apps, then show them how to hold a digital object using the Merge Cube or jump right into our standards-aligned science simulations and activity plans. There’s so much to do with Merge EDU! Be sure to check out some of our other help articles for tips and tricks on how to get started.
Have fun teaching with Merge!