Students and Teachers can upload their own 3D creations to the Merge Cube using the Object Uploader. Visualizing your 3D creations on the Merge Cube makes it easy to inspect them up close from all angles, and to share with teachers and classmates for feedback. It also allows for rapid iteration while developing 3D prototypes, and can help save time and materials if you’re 3D printing.
In this article we will introduce you to the main steps you should take to upload your own 3D creation to be viewed on the Merge Cube.
- Getting to the Object Uploader
- Uploading your 3D Creation
- Editing the Object Details
When you’re ready to upload your own 3D object, just follow these steps:
Getting to the Object Uploader
- Go to https://dashboard.mergeedu.com/ and sign into your Merge Account
- Select “My Stuff” under Home from the left-side navigation menu
- Click the “Upload” button on the top-right corner of the screen to open the Object Uploader
Uploading your 3D Creation
- Drag and drop your 3D file onto the upload window or click “Browse” to search for the 3D Object you want to upload.
Note: Object Uploader supports FBX, OBJ, STL, and GLTF file types. You can also upload a ZIP archive containing your model (in a supported file type), along with materials and associated textures.
- Select the 3D Object file you wish to upload, then click “Continue”
- Allow the object to Process; when processing is complete click “Continue”
Editing the Object Details
- Type in the Object’s Name and Description
- Use the “Private Object” toggle if you would like to set your object to private, which will prevent the object from being viewed publicly (unless you share the link or object code).
- Click “Edit 3D Settings” to open the Object Editor
- When you have finished adjusting the Object Details, click “Save”, then "Finish" to Confirm its settings
Sharing your 3D Creation
- Click “Copy Link” to copy the sharable link for the object, or copy the Object Code.
- Send out the link to whoever you wish to share your object with - the link will automatically open the Object Viewer app and download the object onto their device.
- Share the Object Code when a user may not be able to use a link. To use the Object Code, tap the menu in Object Viewer then select “Code Search” and enter the code.
Now that you know how to upload your own 3D creations to your Merge Account using the Object Uploader, you can now inspect, visualize and share your creations.