with your Merge AR/VR Headset
Congratulations on your new Merge AR/VR Headset!
With the Merge AR/VR Headset, you can go anywhere! Take 100’s of virtual field trips and experience learning firsthand; explore the solar system, walk with dinosaurs, travel the world, and experience life from new perspectives.
Follow the instructions below to get the most out of your Merge AR/VR Headset:
- Safety Tips
- Compatible Devices
- Finding Experiences
- Using with Merge Explorer
- Additional Tips
Safety first! Be sure to take your safety seriously when using the Merge AR/VR Headset by following these recommendations:
- Use only in a safe environment free from pets and other hazards
- Remain seated at all times
- Take frequent breaks
- Use only under adult supervision
Read our complete health and safety information here
Most mobile VR experiences are focused around virtual field trips. You can find VR experiences in a number of different places. We recommend starting here:
- Merge Miniverse: The Merge Miniverse is a hand-picked collection of educational VR videos from brands like National Geographic, Discovery VR, BBC, NASA, and more.
- YouTube VR Channel: YouTube has a channel dedicated to 180 and 360-degree videos. You can read more about how to watch them here.
Google Arts & Culture app - Google Arts & Culture puts the treasures, stories and knowledge of over 2,000 cultural institutions from 80 countries at your fingertips. It’s your doorway to explore the art, history, people and wonders of our world.
The Merge AR/VR Headset is compatible with Merge Explorer, an app in our Merge EDU platform that lets you hold and interact with science simulations. To use AR mode with your headset, follow these steps:
- Download Merge Explorer: Apple App Store for iOS / Google Play Store for Android
- Launch Merge Explorer on your device and select one of the topic cards.
- Tap the headset icon inside the activity you wish to see
- Slot your device into the front of the headset, making sure the camera is facing the pop-out window
- Hold your Merge Cube in your hand and enjoy the experience!
Adjusting the Lenses
The Merge AR/VR Headset has lenses that adjust for the distance between your eyes, known as IPD (interpupillary distance). To adjust the lenses, use your thumb and forefinger to grasp the top and bottom of the lens adjusters and move them in an in/out motion until you can see clearly and comfortably.
Using the Input Buttons
The input buttons are found at the top of the Merge AR/AR Headset, on top of the lens adjusters. With the input buttons, you can interact with VR apps and experiences, without the need for a separate controller. Depending on the app or experience, tapping one or both of the input buttons will pause the experience, or select an item.
Watch Videos in VR on Youtube
You can watch both immersive 360º videos and regular Youtube videos using the Merge AR/AR Headset. First load the video you want to watch, and then tap the 3 dot menu. Next tap “Watch in VR” and insert your device into the Merge AR/VR Headset.
Setting up your Viewer Profile
The very first step you need to take to be able to utilize VR mode is to set up your viewer profile using the Google Cardboard app. Follow these steps to set up your device’s viewer profile to the Merge AR/VR Headset:
- Download the Google Cardboard app onto your device: Google Cardboard for iOS / Google Cardboard for Android
- Launch the Cardboard app. If you have never set up a viewer profile before, there will be a large arrow button to tap to get started. Make sure you give the app permission to access your camera. (If you have set up a different viewer profile in the past, you can change viewer profiles by tapping the menu icon at the top-right corner of the app and tapping the “current viewer” button to swap.)
- Point your phoneʼs camera to the Merge QR code (located on the back strap of the Merge Headset) to set your profile.
- Once your profile is set, slot your device into the front of the headset - making sure the device’s camera is facing the pop-out window of the Headset - and adjust the lenses until you see the video clearly. Follow the tutorial to learn more about how to use the Merge Headset and interactive buttons.
Thatʼs it! Your device is now set up to use the Merge AR/VR Headset.
The Merge AR/VR headset works with a number of iOS and Android devices. Tap the link to this help article to learn more about the size and technology requirements. You can also scan your device to test if it meets the requirements at www.vrtest.ninja