with your Merge AR/VR Headset
Congratulations on the purchase of your new Merge AR/VR Headset!
With the Merge AR/VR Headset, you can go anywhere! Take 100’s of virtual field trips and experience learning firsthand; explore the solar system, walk with dinosaurs, travel the world, and experience life from new perspectives.
Follow the instructions below to get the most out of your Merge AR/VR Headset:
- Safety Tips
- Compatible Devices
- Finding Experiences
- Using with Merge Explorer
- Additional Tips
Safety first! Be sure to take your safety seriously when using the Merge AR/VR Headset by following these recommendations:
- Use only in a safe environment free from pets and other hazards
- Remain seated at all times
- Take frequent breaks
- Use only under adult supervision
Read our complete health and safety information here.
Most mobile VR experiences are focused around games and virtual field trips. You can find VR experiences in a number of different places. We recommend starting here:
- Merge Miniverse: A curated a library of educational VR games and 360-degree video field trips at Miniverse.io.
- YouTube VR Channel: YouTube has a channel dedicated to 180 and 360-degree videos. You can read more about how to watch them here.
- Google Expeditions: Google Expeditions is an app that allows you to take virtual field trips and create VR tours. Starting June 2021, Google Expeditions will be taken off the app store, and all the virtual field trips are moving to the Google Arts & Culture app.
The Merge AR/VR Headset is compatible with Merge Explorer, an app in our Merge EDU platform that lets you hold and interact with science simulations. To use AR mode with your headset, follow these steps:
- Download Merge Explorer:
Apple App Store for iOS
Google Play Store for Android
- Launch Merge Explorer on your device and select one of the topic cards.
- Tap the headset icon inside the activity you wish to see
- Slot your device into the front of the headset, making sure the camera is facing the pop-out window
- Hold your Merge Cube in your hand and enjoy the experience!
Adjusting the Lenses
The Merge AR/VR Headset has lenses that adjust for the distance between your eyes, known as IPD (interpupillary distance). To adjust the lenses, use your thumb and forefinger to grasp the top and bottom of the lens adjusters and move them in an in/out motion until you can see clearly and comfortably.
Using the Input Buttons
The input buttons are found at the top of the Merge AR/AR Headset, on top of the lens adjusters. With the input buttons, you can interact with VR apps and experiences, without the need for a separate controller. Depending on the app or experience, tapping one or both of the input buttons will pause the experience, or select an item.
Watch Videos in VR on Youtube
You can watch both immersive 360º videos and regular Youtube videos using the Merge AR/AR Headset. First load the video you want to watch, and then tap the 3 dot menu. Next tap “Watch in VR” and insert your device into the Merge AR/VR Headset.
Setting up the Viewer Profile
The Viewer Profile is simply a QR code that can be scanned from a VR app. Once scanned, the app will optimize the display for use with the Merge Headset. You can find the Merge Viewer Profile QR code on the back of the head-strap.
To get started, you will first need to download the Google Cardboard app. Run the app and look for the gear icon in the bottom center of the screen. Tap on the icon to get the settings menu, then click on the “Current Viewer” button. Point your phoneʼs camera to the Merge QR code to switch your profile. Thatʼs it! Your device is now set up to use the Merge Headset. If you run an app that does not automatically load the Merge Viewer Profile, look for the gear icon on that app and follow the steps above.
The Merge AR/VR headset works with a number of iOS and Android devices. Tap the link to this help article to learn more about the size and technology requirements. You can also scan your device to test if it meets the requirements at www.vrtest.ninja.