How to use the Merge Scanner App
With Merge Scanner, you can scan real-world objects and convert them into virtual 3D models! You will be able to view your scans in augmented reality on the Merge Cube, place a virtual replica back into the real world, and share with anybody around the world.
For now, Merge Scanner only works with Apple devices that have a LiDAR sensor. We plan to expand compatibility soon, but do not currently have a date to share.
iPhone 12 Pro and later with LiDAR:
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone - 12 Pro Max
- Phone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 14 Pro
- iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 15 Pro
- iPhone 15 Pro Max
iPad Pro 2021 and later with LiDAR:
- 2021 11" and 12.9" iPad Pro models
- 2022 11" and 12.9" iPad Pro models
Follow the instructions below to use the Merge Scanner app:
Step 1 - Scan your Object
- Ensure your object is on a table or pedestal that you can walk around completely.
- Launch the Merge Scanner app and tap NEW SCAN.
- Move close and center the dot on your object, then tap Continue.
- A box will appear around your object. Move around to ensure your entire object is inside the box. Drag handles to manually resize. Then tap Start Capture.
- A compass will appear near your object. Walk around the object carefully keeping your camera pointed at the object. The dashes on the compass will start to fill in as you make progress.
- After the compass fills in completely, you will be asked to scan again. Read the message about object flipping. Press Continue or Flip Object Anyway. **NOTE: If the shape is unique on all sides, you should flip the object. However, flipping is not always recommended if the object is very large. Often, the scanner will fill in the bottom automatically.
- You will scan your object for the 2nd time, this time aiming the camera lower as you scan. Follow the tips on the screen, such as Move Closer. Follow the direction of the arrow, if one pops up. Second segment should say Complete when done.
- Last, you will be asked to capture your object a third time from a higher angle. Follow the directions on the screen such as Move Closer, ensuring you are filling in the compass dashes.
- You will get a message that says All Segments Complete. Tap Finish to process your object. Object processing may take several minutes.
Step 2 - View your Object
- As soon as your object has finished processing, you will be directed back to the home screen where your thumbnail will take a moment to finalize.
- Tap the thumbnail of your new scan to view it in Merge Scanner.
- Use 3D, Cube, or World mode to view your 3D scan.
To view your 3D model in the Object Viewer app, follow the directions below:
- Open the Object Viewer app
- Tap the 3 line menu on the upper left hand corner
- Under MY LIBRARY, tap Collections
- Select the default collection called My Scans
- Tap the scan you wish to view
- View your scan in 3D, Cube or World mode
Step 3 - Share your 3D Scans
- To share your 3D scan using the Merge Scanner app, first load your scan (simply tap the thumbnail on the Home screen to load your scan)
- Once your scan is loaded, press the info button on the right side of the bottom menu
- Tap the "share" icon
- Tap to copy the link, or screencast/print the QR Code
To share your 3D scan using the Merge Dashboard, follow the directions below:
- When you scan an object, a folder called My Scans will be automatically generated under your Collections on the Merge Dashboard (dashboard.mergeedu.com)
- To access your scans, select My Stuff from the left-side menu, then select My Collections --> My Scans
3. Tap the 3D scan you wish to share
4. Tap "Share Options" then either copy the url, or print / screencast the QR code